Sunday, July 11, 2010

Millenium Class + 10

Yesterday was the day of my ten year high school reunion! Wow, time sure is passing by fast! Unfortunately, I did not attend the festivities. The distance makes it a little tough and I’ve been travelling a lot recently, especially to the Seattle area. Next weekend is Reid’s bachelor party then three weeks later is his wedding.


Still though, this milestone is an opportunity to look back upon the past 10 years. I think I’ve accomplished a lot, learned a lot about myself, become closer with my family, and made some really great friends. Six of those ten years were fairly dedicated to getting my education, albiet with a lot of fun when I wasn’t working too hard. :) Going into college I didn’t have an exact plan, I just knew that I wanted to get the most out of my education ... somehow that led me to getting my Master’s degree in engieering. Luckily it’s a degree that is valuable and I’m still very pleased with; it’s opened one significant door for me and that is working for one of the most respected tech companies in the world, Intel. I’ve been at Intel four years now and things are well. I am passionate about technology and how it can change our lives, especially mobile technology and how it connects people and brings efficiencies to the world. It’s just amazing how life goes by. I’m extremely grateful that my parents taught me the value of getting an education and also sacraficed financially to make it happen. Thanks M&D!

So much else has happened these past 10 years. I’ve taken risks, moving to California all on my own; so far so good there. I’ve been consistently taking care of my health and keeping habits to live a long happy life. I’ve been a groomsman in 6 weddings; best man gig #2 is coming up in a month! There have been some interesting adventures, from achieving the summits of Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Shasta as well as crazy road trips, Nelson BC, Malaysia, Montana fishing, and snowboarding adventures. Definitely good times. I seriously think I’ve had 25 different roommates / housemates in this decade.

I think I’ve worked hard and played hard. The next 10 years hold a lot of promise. I will continue to work hard and play hard and as well as take time to celebrate life more frequenty. I’m adopting a modified motto, courtesy of Justin Moore: “Work Hard, Play Hard, Hold my Baby Tight.” These next ten years will be different though, no doubt. I don’t know exactly what’s down that road for me but I’m hopeful to marry that special lady, start a family, stay healthy, be there for family and friends, continue in a rewarding career, explore the world more, and have many, many more adventures.

As I sit between past an future, the present is here and it is to be celebrated. I hope you celebrated all night long Bellarmine Prep class of 2000 and poured out some bubbly for me!

No comments: