Thursday, July 1, 2010

Abstract Much?

Whenever I look at art I am always drawn to the abstract pieces ... all too commonly the most expensive ones at the gallery. Landscapes, traditional, portraits, and classical just don’t do it for me. Some nature pieces are alluring though; my parents have an especially interesting piece called the “Midnight Wolf” by Robert Bateman.  Do you see the wolf?

What is it about abstract art? I think I like how the normally geometric shapes resemble something or give you an idea yet leave perhaps even a more to the imagination. Not to mention all the vibrant colors. Here is a piece that I have in my home, one of my favorite purchases.


Earlier this year, I was in Puerto Vallarta and found an art gallery with a few pieces that caught my eye. When I walked in, I saw a piece I really liked and saw a price tag of $4000. I left that day but made my way back to the gallery a few days later intending to buy the piece. I assumed the price was marked in the local currency, pesos. :) That would have made the piece ~$400 USD. Unfortunately it was marked in USD! Some other day I guess. Here is the piece, done by Alfonso Pena.


I think it makes a lot of sense to try to buy art from travel locations because it’ll always have a special meaning, even though the logistics might be challenging. Hopefully I’ll stumble across more affordable pieces during future travel.

One last piece that recently caught my eye, surprisingly some local art displayed at work.

No comments: