Monday, January 5, 2009

The Four Agreements

From an unlikely source I got a great book recommendation. Thanks JD, I didn't know you could read! :)

The book is "The Four Agreements" (TFA) by Don Miguel Ruiz; it is inspired by Toltec wissom passed down through the generations. TFA essentially tries to lay out guiding principles for how to interact with others and how to perceive those interactions. The lessons are applicable to all kinds of relationships, even one's relationship with one's self. Ultimately the goal of book aims to free the individual from crippling self-practices and preconceptions while enabling people to interact without with utmost trust and honesty.

Without further ado, here are the four agreements:

1) Be Impeccable with Your Word -- Basically this means to speak with integrity and mean what you say. It's argued in TFA that words are our most powerful tool; I'd like to think our minds, ideas, and thoughts can be more powerful, but definitely I see the point. We can use our words to spread good or evil and their impact is huge.

2) Don't Take Anything Personally -- You've gotta be strong to not take anything personally. The argument here is that really you shouldn't let others influence your mood with their words, whether they be good or bad. We should know ourselves well enough to know the truth and not let images of our selves be bent by others.

3) Don't Make Assumptions -- When things are unclear, ask questions; clarify! Communication is key here, do not assume something as it could be false and really lead you down the wrong path.

4) Always Do Your Best -- Sometimes your best isn't as good one day as it is another. The important thing is to strive for excellence always. We cannot be perfect and will always have missteps, but we can strive to be better every day.

For any Superman nerds out there like me, I'd say a good Kryptonian is an example of someone who follows the teachings of TFA. Us mere mortals would be doing good to follow the teachings four times out of five. TFA is simply written and straightforward; I read it in less than 2 hours.

I think I do a good job with #1 as I always strive to be honest and straightforward. #2 is tough because to be influenced by others and society seems to be part of the fabric of being human. I really identified with #3 because I think I make assumptions too often without seeking clarification; I plan to get clarification more. I do a good job with #4; I always feel like I'm striving for excellence.

Thoughts?

No comments: